I had a couple of breakthroughs here. First, I've been experimenting with basing. No radical departures here but I did use more static grass and Stilfor tufts, including flowers. I also took the time to pick out the larger rocks and coat them with dark and light gray. I'm very pleased with the results!
Secondly, its no secret that I've struggled with miniature photography. I took many pictures today and was disappointed with all of them so I went back to the internet and combed through the tutorials. I learned how to manually adjust white balance by pointing my camera at a white sheet of paper and just like that, the quality of my photographs greatly improved! These are all by natural lighting.
All figures are by Essex and I do love their horses as there is a great deal of variety and energy in them. The only downside is the limited poses for the Hussars but I don't think it detracts too much.