Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Stomp, Stomp, Stompies!

Elephants:  4 new stompies for my Carthaginian army.  I put some effort into the blankets since they're going to see battle without war towers. You have to look good to feel good, even if you're a war elephant! I decided I'd made the tusks too large and trimmed them back a bit.  Then again, the North African Forest Elephants used by the Carthaginians are extinct and I could claim some artistic license.
In Field of Glory, the Later Carthaginian list allows 6 elephants BUT if you take a Numidian ally, you can field 8 in total.  Elephants will reportedly get 3 dice per base at impact in FoG 2.  We're ready to bring it, en masse.
 
Thureophoroi:  My Thureophoroi, based as Medium Foot, give the Carthaginians another unit to contest and fight in terrain.  They can be paired with a unit of elephants in a battle line.
Slitherine announced that version 2 will be published in paper and digital format after all. That's excellent news as an iPad/laptop only version would have scotched Field of Glory 2 in our club.  We've been reading the announced list of changes and we're quite anxious to give them a try.  So anxious in fact that a buddy and I printed out the list of changes and put them into a game with my newly painted Carthaginians.  I'll post the AAR next week with a few observations.  The short version is I'll be a Day 1 purchaser when the new rules hit the market.  Two years of tweaking and field testing has paid handsome dividends, in my opinion. 

19 comments:

  1. Hi Monty,

    really good work on both types of troops, really like the elephants, the warpaints on them are really cool, the Thurephoroi are one of the best partners to travel with the elephants in rough grounds, excellent choice of troops!
    even if I prefer my Doc Martens to stomp ;-)

    Best regards

    thefrenchjester

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gilles! I had your email out by my elbow as I painted these so thank you for your suggestions.

      Doc Martens...have you every heard of a band called Black Flag? Their Californian followers loved lacing up their Martens and mixing it up, back in the day in the 1980s.

      Delete
    2. never heard Black flag????? the only californian band I know is the Beach Boys;-)

      I prefer the ska music than punk music especially the old 69 spirit;-)and the ska revival of the 80s, have a try with "moonstomp by the Symarip";-)

      Best regards

      Gilles

      Delete
    3. well, the 80s ska was pretty damn good. One Step BEyooond!

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    Your army will be very impressive on the tables, elephants are lloking colourful and terrific! Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lots Phil. I'm hoping that a fistful of dice will help me when I run these fellows.

      Delete
  3. Great work on the beasts, nice colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much Andrew! I'd so love to travel to your fine country and research a 2nd Black Army project. And maybe tip back a few beers!

      Delete
  4. Cracking paintjob. The idea with painting their faces is a good one
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul! Thanks! I have to ask, do your brushes every get a day off? I know the answer to that one, actually. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. lol. I now have the Heffalumps and Woosels song in my head. My kids did love Winnie the Pooh!

      Delete
  6. Another top notch job on these new units Monty, unfortunately I've just read in dispatches that your rivals are stocking up on loads of peanuts and mice...

    Still, along with Captain Darling of Black Adder Goes Forth fame I can only wish them, "Good luck against those elephants!"

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foiled again!

      There's a reason elephants are nicknamed Glass Cannons in Field of Glory. Don't throw a 1 on your death test because if you do, goodbye Jumbo.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work again, Monty. Good to see Uncle Maharbal getting some use out of that huge beach towel Aunty Soph brought back from Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  8. inspriring as usual
    and i have the same doctor than gilles
    a cr with your ottoman in lasalle ?
    cordialement
    marco

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Marco! Thanks sir. I have to take a look at your latest Ottomans!

    ReplyDelete