Friday, December 21, 2012

The Christmas season!

I've got plenty of Hungarians to post but I also have a 250 watt natural light painting lamp under the Christmas tree.  It should improve my miniature photography so forgive me for a non-painting post! I hope you're enjoying the company of family and friends this Christmas season.  If you're hosting in-laws, remember to lay in a healthy supply of Winter Ales to get you through.  For some of you, only whiskey will do!  

Old Man Winter is back and mean as ever. Camped out in Minnesota for the next 5 months, he won't be happy until  the lack of sun and cabin fever drives us all over the edge.  He showed up this year with a bamboo pole, bragging how he'd taken up martial arts while resting in warmer climates. Vitamin D, don't fail me now!
Old Man Winter or Bacchus? It's hard to tell.
Snowstorms?  Ho Hum! Just because Old Man Winter dropped 16" of snow in a day doesn't mean life stops. 15 minutes of shoveling the deck and I was cooking with fire.  The free range snowflakes added extra sizzle!
I thought the traditional fetching of the tree might be over, on account of my kids being 16 and 17.  Instead, they insisted on it.  Next year, my son is off to college and the year after, my daughter as well.  It wasn't that long ago that I could beat them at video games!

No trees were harmed in the making of this picture.   

 The things I have to do to earn  a day at the club.  
As I hacked away with a candy-cane striped saw, my wife remarked, "A real man would use a double-bladed axe."   I think I got dangerously close to displaying plumber's crack in the last photo.  

Technically speaking, painting is not a Christmas tradition in my house but it is my favorite past time.  Being housebound means guilt-free hours at the painting table. No yard work, mowing or garden to tend to! With no lead mountain to fall back on, I was worried about what to paint after the Hungarians. I found a sprawling Saga collection at Bartertown and a few emails later, I've got 200+ figures coming.  It looks like it'll be enough to paint 2 Viking and 2 Norman warbands.  Score!  

Merry Christmas and happy painting to all! 

23 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Monty, to you, and your family. Best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well, Markus!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas, Monty and Monty's family!

    Hmmm, snow's not something I have to worry about while barbecuing steak. It's more about making sure I've got enough sunscreen and insect repellent! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a very lucky man, indeed! In the event that you want to see what your missing in this winter wonderland, ring in and we can swap continents! In the meantime, Merry Christmas and I'll refrain from saying "Throw another shrimp on ..."

      Delete
    2. Its embarrassing the way people in the US confuse a Kiwi for an Aussie. On the other hand, you both live on islands!

      I just have to think Flight of the Conchords every time I read your blog and I'll never make the mistake again! But if I think of the Conchords, I'll start thinking Business Time and well...

      ;-)

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmast to you and all your family Mounty!

    It was a very nice tree you cut, doubble bladed ax or not;)

    Good to hear thhat there are snow elsewere to, her in Stockholm we have got our fair share...

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Dal, to you and yours!

      Many Minnesotans trace their forefathers back to Norway and Sweden. I suspect these immigrants felt right at home here. And Lutfisk is still a tradition for some. You might call them the truly daring!

      Delete
  4. Have a great Christmas and New year Monty, those steaks look tasty! No snow here in the UK.....yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray! Merry Christmas to you and Fran as well! It must be awfully quiet in your house. As Depech Mode once sang, Enjoy the Silence!

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas Monty to you and your family. ( candy stripped saw hahaha....what next ? ) It's hot here in Sydney, the whole family's off to Forster for Christmas this year ( mid coast NSW ) .....beer will be consumed in copious amounts for sure as usual, and a few days at the beach seems to be the plan.
    Back in town early January for a very very LARGE Greek v Persian game......mmm should be good. A group of us do this every year in Jan (plan a ridiculously huge game), we did a crusades one last year - battle of Hattin........... and more beer will be drunk once again I think :-)
    Doesn't look like much painting action on around here for a while.
    Have a good break Monty ( I've never had a white Christmas )...having said that, my sons off to Japan on the 28th Dec for a skiing holiday though........this younger generation have it good don't they. It's his last year of high school...... he tells me he's earnt it hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tarty! Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

      You Aussies have it pretty damn good. Warm temps all year around, plenty of good beer, beaches AND miniatures! Are you sure you aren't in heaven already? ;-)

      Seniors. They can be a bit of a challenge, can't they? A trip to Japan sounds wonderful. Enjoy your family, friends, gaming and of course, the beer!

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas, Monty. May all your Christmas's be white!

    On a different note, I just ordered the remaining Saga dice sets, so we will be able to play with any faction we can come up. And I trust we will come up with a bunch of them ;^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you, Brent!

      Excellent news! I'm very excited about our venture into Saga. I think that will catch fire very quickly! Also looking forward to round 2 of the Maurice campaign and the many games yet to be played. Thank you for all you've done in 2012 to expand my gaming horizons and most of all, thank you for our friendship. I'll raise a frosty beverage to you tonight, maybe even two!

      Delete
    2. You're too kind. I'm also greatly enjoying opur gaming - Maurice is great, and I anticipate Saga will be too.

      If you're going to be in the neighborhood drop by for a beer. I've got a very special Christmas treat ;^)

      Delete
  7. Good stuff! Merry Christmas to you and your family Monty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and yours, Jason! I hope your dad is out of the hospital by now.

      Delete
  8. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    Keep up the good work. I always find your blog inspiring and entertaining.

    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mal!

    A big THANK YOU! I really appreciate your feedback. I aim for both so it's nice to hear when I've succeeded. And have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you Monty!

    Really like your work and the new lamp should make things even better. I switched from a halogen desk lamp to a daylight lamp this year and I feel it has been a real improvement. While I do not think it has changed my painting itself, I feel it is much easier on the eyes. Much like what I get painting outdoors in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Burkhart!

      I'm so looking forward to upgrading my lighting. And time with family as well, just in case any of them accidentally reads my blog. ;-)

      Delete
  11. Merry Christmas, Monty! Very handsome looking family and you are, indded, lucky that your teenage children still want to participate in activities with dad. Good job!\

    I am always in search of better lighting. What are you getting?

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Jonathan, to you and yours!

      I'm very hopeful that the Daylight Triple Bright Lamp from Amazon turns out to the be the holy of holies...a high powered hobby lamp with natural lighting. It's advertised as the equivalent of 250W and I read the 'eavy Metal guys use it. I need maximum light for painting after dark. I'm currently using a Husky shop lamp and it's too hot. Dries up my paints and gives me all sorts of problems. As soon as I've had a chance to work with it, I'll put up a review. Hope you get some good stuff under the tree as well!

      Delete
  12. Great score on the figs - looking forward to seeing them painted up!
    Best wishes for 2013

    ReplyDelete