Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

SHIELDWALL!

The Accidental Warband moves toward the finish line with 16 Anglo-Dane Ceorls.  Last up will be 2 warlords. Why 2?  Well, I sold off my plastic Vikings and warlord so once again, I have a hole in my collection to paint over.

You gotta love the large shields and the way LBMS transfers bring them to life. All Gripping Beast figs.


To round out the crew, I dug up 12 Viking Bondi I painted last spring and never posted. Adding them to my new figs gives me a total of 28 warriors for a Viking or Anglo-Dane warband.  When I run a Viking warband in Saga, I'll use the large shielded warriors like below. That is a pretty decent Viking shieldwall.
When I run Anglo-Danes, I'll use a mix of shields including kites. Kite shields appeared in the A-D forces once they hired Norman mercenaries. And Canute the Great employed Jomsvikings with his multinational Scandinavian expedition in 1014.  That means you could slip Joms or Norman foot into this warband. The portability of figs for Anglo-Danes is a nice bonus!
Today, my Galatian army will see the tabletop for the first time against the dreaded Romans in Field of Glory. I'm thinking of yelling "SHIELDWALL!" during the Roman impact phase to distract my opponent and the dice gods.  I'm hoping a few good rolls might sneak through as a result. If I want to have any chance of winning today, I better come up with a more robust plan.

39 comments:

  1. Excellent work Monty, I like these a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonas! You are the Saga master so I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful and so colorful...your opponents will be dazzled by the beauty of your armies Monty!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need every advantage I can get, Phil, so thanks for that!

      Delete
  3. I DO love the large shields, shield transfers, and the vivid colors! These look smashing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. It's not real apparent in the pics but the last bunch of 8 I painted, I'd looked at all my warriors grouped by color and I thought, "Ooops, I need more browns!" So they got earthtones!

      Delete
  4. Pretty shields, yeah, but the Galatian teaser has me more excited. Pics, please!

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus! The Romans are brutal in FoG, even in v2. I gave it a good run but then opportunity slipped away. I'm not sure I've got the makings of an AAR so I might have to get another, better game in. I was playing in a Fantasy Flight Event center and most of the fellows hadn't seen historical gaming. I did get lots of comments on the naked warriors! So, there is that saving grace!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful looking troops. Wow - so you got rid of your other great looking plastic troops. Best wishes for your Galatians. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! I do have a bad habit of off loading troops but that can always be fixed with fresh lead and paint!

      Delete
  6. These are lovely and I think that as a painter of historical figures you are becoming a force to contend with!

    Everyone will soon be wanting figures done by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, you are so sweet!

      It's a blessing to be able to paint for other folks and still be able to squeeze in some painting for myself. One of the fellows I'm painting for is local AND a friend, so I get to see my figs coming at me!

      Delete
  7. Andrew, thanks and I've had your excellent terrain out on the tabletop now for a couple of weekends in a row. Wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work as usual; you're turning these fellows out at a rate of knots. Of course, we will all want to see an AAR featuring these stalwarts of the Anglo-Danish kingdom!

    And about the Galatians; when have they ever been known to RECEIVE a charge...?
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! And I did play them like Galatians yesterday. There was a point where I declared 1 charge, then another...and then I said "all in." Everyone who could went it. Good times!

      Delete
    2. Good to hear! But did it work?

      And I sent an email a few days back via the link on your profile page; did you receive it?

      Delete
    3. Ah, no. In Field of Glory v2, the Romans are up across the board, hitting on 4,5 and 6s while my Galatians needed 5 or 6 to hit. I threw fistsfull of dice but eventually, those odds catch up with you and I lose.

      I did receive your email and I apologize, Ev. It was a busy weekend but I'm getting back to you!

      Delete
    4. No worries, we can all see how busy you've been! Just wanted to be sure that the address was correct.

      Talk to you later!

      Delete
  9. Stunning work Monty!!!

    Very insirational, might get me to paint up a new Viking warband!

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it would be a treat to see, Michael. Even better would be to travel across the ocean and see your work up close and personal!

      Delete
  10. Hi Monty,

    great work !
    impressive view of the Band! you are the boss;-)
    I totally agree with Anne and don't tell me : i'm sweet ;-) cause I'm hard as a nut !;-)

    Cheers

    Gilles " uninspired commander ;-) "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilles!

      Yea, in FoG, I'm a UC commander as well. I do try!

      Delete