I agreed to paint it if I could do it gratis for two dear friends. I'm honored that they'd trust me with this, honored and a bit nervous. Worse comes to worse, Pine Sol has my back, right? So, here's my Work in Progress. The piece is fairly large; 5" tall, 5" wide and 8" long. I suggested the piece could be reworked in verdigris. Nancy and Chris agreed to give it a go.
Two heavy washes with GW Agrath Earthshade. This turns out to be a bit of a misstep.
I used my brightest Vallejo blue and green, very watered down. The names on the jars are worn off but they're Game Color and quite bright. I started with a 3-1 ratio of blue to green for the first wash and then in successive washes, I moved to 3-1 ratio of green to blue. There is lots of flat space on these figures and the washes took me only so far. For the last coat, I painting vertical highlights onto the figures, trying to mimic the weeping effect of verdigris. I did also try to mix in dark streaks but that didn't work in this scale. It was looking pretty bright so I flattened it out with a watered Agrath Earthshade wash.
Then on to the base. I may need a wash to flatten it out as well.
The final trick is the flag, and it's freaking huge. I'm thinking verdigris but that's not my call. The Arlington memorial is topped with a real flag and Nancy was thinking color at the start of this project. I'll confirm which way they want to take this-red, white and blue, or verdigris.
This piece has been a riddle and a challenge. It's not like anything I've painted before but then again, it's good to get out of my comfort zone I've really enjoyed seeing the piece evolve. Here's hoping I get it across the finish line in good order!