Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

Don't lose your head!

The Scots warriors continue the dark, earthen palette I plotted for the warband. I did sneak in some flourishes for the dandies in the bunch. These figures are on par with Gripping Beast's superb Welsh and Jomsvikings.



So, about the head on a pike. I found two bannermen in this set and one banner, so it was time to improv.  One of the two bannermen was channeling the Dead Rabbit gang to me.  I dug up a head, drilled it and presto, the "Don't lose your head" gang is born.   The Scots are a blast to paint and they're - wait for it - my favorite warband to date.  I do seem to get my head turned by each new faction that comes down the pike.

For SAGA players, the Scots battleboard emphasizes defensive abilities while allowing for a counterpunch.  Some of their standout abilities are:

Give Ground gives you the chance to reduce your opponent's attack dice. Ouch!  
Hold the Ground adds 2 or 4 defensive dice.
Keeping the Distance: Allows a unit the benefit of being treated as in heavy cover for the turn.  
Reach actives a movement and turns a unit (or 2) into javelin armed for the turn.  Shooting up your opponent is a great way to goad them into a charge.  
Tireless allows you to reduce fatigue by 1 at the end of the melee. Great for stacking 2 attacks in a turn.

They look to be another tough faction and it'll be interesting to see them out on the tabletop.  

32 comments:

  1. Agreed! Even nicer than the last! Luckily, you have a picture archive so we can go back and confirm our memories. Love the detail and especially the plaid cloaks.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Rouses my itch to paint some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. Today is the last day of my much needed Christmas vacation. I better paint while I can!

      Delete
  3. Well done my friend, once again...I love the shields and the cloaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! Hope its warmer where you're at than here. Sunday is going to be -25 degrees. Ugh!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minis Monty, you'll see, the Scot faction is rather funny.
      J-B

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jehan, the battleboard does look like a good one!

      Delete
  5. Those look great. Love the plaid and the shield designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, and I see you have a new project I'd love to do...ROMANS!

      Delete
  6. Superb work, Monty. The plaids/tartans are looking great, as are the intricate shield patterns. You've continued your impressive brushwork seamlessly through to the new year. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! I was looking at my first SAGA figures today and I do think I've improved (as I should). Still so far to go...

      Delete
  7. Very nice work and the plaid is great!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I'll be back at it with the brights one day. I do love a bright palette!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent as always Monty! The banner was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonas! I'm thinking it might be the bannerman's father in law.

      Delete
  10. These are some superbly painted figures again Monty! You did some very nice patterns on the coats and kilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moiterei! I do hope to see these again in the next year when we play DB with the TFL expansion.

      Delete
  11. Cracking stuff Monty. I particularly like the blue/green plaid.

    I think you'll really enjoy the Scots. I know Ev does and they always give my Anglo-Danes a close game. I'm growing to hate Reach with a passion as it is a great ability (for the Scots!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! A fun (and close) game is all you can hope for. We have a big SAGA event tomorrow. I can hardly wait!

      Delete
  12. Looking forward to seeing your progress with these guys.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, and I love your Impetus projects. :-)

      Delete
  13. looking realy good, greate start of 2014 !

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! I can't wait to see how you adapted your Vikings to DB. You've got a head start on me so I'll just look over your shoulder and see what you do. ;-)

      Delete
  14. Of course, the real question here is whether you painted them regimental?

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scots regimental? I'm stumped. Time for coffee I think!

      Delete
  15. Wonderful work as always, Monty - those SAGA abilities are deadly in the right hands.

    Make sure you paint a Scots warband for yourself, they're quite addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ev, shooty factions give me fits. If you can't beat them, join them?

      Delete
  16. Excellent as always. One of these days I'm going to send you a box of partially painted minis with the simple request "please add plaid or tartan" as I am right awful at doing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I do it because I have to, not that I want to. ;-)

      Delete