Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Pyrrhic Army Debut!

I generally avoid painting pike armies as drilling out their tiny hands is a headache.  When I painted up my War and Empire Pontics this summer, I was surprised by how quickly I managed to get through this stage.  I leveraged that experience into a Pyrrhic army with 144 pike-carrying buggers.  

This was a big project so bear with me as I swamp your browser with picturess!  First up are the group shots.  I wasn't completely satisfied with these so I've got unit shots up too. 






Phalangites were the mainstay of Pyrrhus of Epirus' army.  They were sourced from Epirot, Macedonia and the Tarantum.  Fighting 15 deep, their angled pike sheltered men from the full effect of the Roman pilum.  Polybus wrote "Nothing can withstand the frontal assault of the phalanx as long as it retains its characteristic formation and strength." 


Thureophoroi were an all-purpose troop armed with a long thrusting spear, javelins and a sword.  They could form up in loose or close formation and thus, operate in rough terrain.  According to Plutarch, they could fight as skirmishers and then fall back, assume spears and tighten their ranks. These do look the part!

Ellies!  I added shields to these lovely models to keep them with the BYOB (bring your own brass) theme for this army.  At the battle of Heraclea and Asculum, Phyrrus kept his elephants in reserve, a tactic common with the Successor armies.  

Command Stands: Pyrrhus of Epirus is the commanding fellow in the center. Ancient historian Justin had this to say about Pyrrhus. "It is stated by authors that no king, either of that or the former age, was to be compared to Pyrrhus...and that he had such knowledge of the military art, that though he fought against great princes as Lysimachus, Demetrius and Antigonus, he was never conquered. In his wars too with the Illyrians, Sicilians, Romans and Carthaginians, he never came off inferior, but was generally successful."

Agema Heavy Cavalry.  These figures could be used in your Macedonian or Successor armies as well. One of the great things about ancients is you can port some figures across multiple armies.


Tarantine Light Cavalry 

Peltasts or as they're labelled on the War and Empire website, Italian Light Infantry.  Lots of variety in this set! 


Bolt Throwers:  These will be paired with the Roman army I painted last year.  This post is too long so I won't ramble on.  Instead, it's off to the next project!  

54 comments:

  1. Awesome work Monty! Love the Elephant (models) Corps! :o)

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to see a complete Army like this. Great work. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an impressive sight, my friend! Love the elephants. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. Is this an army you plan to keep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan! I have no ancients rules for 15mm so I'm not painting ancients for myself. This is for the good fellow in CA who I painted the giant drop of armies last year. They'll be in heavy rotation!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus, the project got me to read Pyrrhus of Epiros again!

      Delete
  5. Another gorgeous rainbow army! Just be sure that when you win, they're not pyrrhic victories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosbif! I am on a losing streak lately so...

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! What an awesome sight Monty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insanely impressive - those Successors didn't ever think small, did they?

    That's one hell of an army, well done Monty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evan, thanks! I'm so behind on my blog reading. I must catch up on the doings Down Under.

      Delete
  8. Another lovely army Monty - may their victories not be, err, Pyrrhic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin and I'd love to know how many pikemen you've painted. By my count, it must be more than 1,000. Insane!

      Delete
  9. Exceptional work Monty. I'm working my way through a Macedonian army of war and empire figures at the moment, and this is inspirational

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, that will be so lovely! Make sure you post it up. I don't think I've seen one with W&E figs yet.

      Delete
  10. Outstanding job, this was one of my first armies, many years ago, and yours is much better, absoluty beautiful...Love the impressive elephants, nice additions with the shields!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, thanks! I've seen your painting and it is superb...you and all your clubmates. I don't know how you fellows do it but I'm glad you do!

      Delete
  11. Great work. Care to share your secrets for drill out hands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vexillia! I should have put it up in my post. This is WAY too much work to do with a pin drill. I used a Dremel plus the 225-01 flex shaft. I have a post about it up here: http://twincitiesfieldofglory.blogspot.com/2013/12/tools-of-year.html

      Delete
  12. Wow - you've been busy this summer. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and speaking of busy, your lovely 28mm ancients collection just keeps growing!

      Delete
  13. He lives! This looks fantastic, Monty. For use with W&E, or FoG?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus! I quit FoG a few years ago and then switched to ADLG. Its a long story but as we got better and better at ADLG, it started to play like son of FoG and I quit it too. Now I have nothing! Except To the Strongest in 28mm. ;-)

      Delete
  14. Very nice, my next War & Empire figures are primed and ready. Like you, lots and lots of pikemen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a paint but lovely when you're done. Good luck!

      Delete
  15. I cannot thank you enough for another project so well done. Look forward to a few more. We really need to arrange some kind of game with all these armies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! Yes, how about a game in Asheville, NC one day?

      Delete
    2. Yes, for sure. We should be there in around 7 years.

      Delete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous Monty. Your use of bold colours is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michael! I do love my saturated colors. In this scale, you gotta do something to make them to pop.

      Delete
  17. Monty, Lovely well balanced army. Watch out Romans!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I almost thought you were gone missing Monty! But looking at the pics it rather looks like you were quite busy these last few weeks. Stunning work on these! I'm sure they'll show those Romans how to put up a decent fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I have been gone from the blogosphere lately. Thanks so much and yes, this was a bit o lift!

      Delete
  19. Lovely job, Monty. They look great!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  20. How did I miss these!! They look fantastic Monty! You must be proud of the army!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete