Pages

Monday, July 17, 2017

Late Romans

Footsore's Late Roman archers give me another look for my Late Roman warband. Ideally, I'll run them as a 12 pack of warriors with a banner.  With an armor of 3 to shooting and melee, I'll have to hide them away from the enemy.

Looking for any excuse to paint  my Footsore's Attecotti warriors, I decided to use these as mercenary Scouts in my Late Roman warband.  If you're considering an Aetius and Arthur warband, take a look at Picts. Along with the option of putting your warlord in a war chariot, you can upgrade 1 unit of 8 warriors to Attecotti.  If they are the attacker in melee, each figure generates 3 attack dice! They can double move into combat without taking a fatigue and while their nakedness makes them an armor of 3 to shooting and melee, their magical tattoos allow them to re-roll failed defense dice. Honestly, the Footsore figures are so lovely that's reason enough to paint Picts.  You can also use these figures with the Scotti, Scots, Irish and more. Score!


Last up is Sarissa Precision's Roman Villa, available on the Footsore webpage.  I figured I needed a nice mansion for the Governor overseeing my Romans.  This kit goes together with a minimum of fuss and effort.  Once done, I primed it leather brown and then airbrushed it up in a base and highlight color.  Quite a bit of bang for the buck!







21 comments:

  1. Nice minis. The villa is AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work once again! Lovly looking project :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking minis and building!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Monty, superb miniatures and I do like the Sarissa stuff, such good quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I'm thinking the watchtowers are my next Sarissa buy!

      Delete
  5. Cracking stuff Monty. I'm always impressed by your vibrant palette...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I do do love bright saturated colors!

      Delete
  6. Stunning troops, Monty...and love what you did with the villa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, it was speed painted but turned out quite nicely!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful work Monty! Those Attecotti certainly do look the part. Very nice villa too, if a bit too boxy for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, the Attecotti are just lovely figures!

      Delete
  8. As always, great job. A big fan of Footsore's ranges so its nice to see you putting paint on them.

    The airbrushing job gives a nice illusion of texture. I was thinking about adding a watered-down fine grit mixture to buildings like this, but what you've done accomplishes the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! Airbrush shading was not too bad. It looks better from gamin distance and was reasonably fast for such a big piece. You could mask and certainly do better.

      Delete
  9. Nice Villa.

    Monty, have you heard anything about the SAGA events at Adepticon 2018? Will there be any? If so, are Aetius Arthur warbands permitted? I don't know if SAGA 2.0 will be released before Adepticon, but if they are, any idea if they will be in use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never mind. I asked Eric, directly. He said that it's essentially the same as last year and that yes, Aetius Arthur warbands are permitted.

    ReplyDelete