Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Easy Method to Paint White

Recently, I stumbled onto an easy method for painting white.  I have multiple white paints and I've grown to hate them all. They each have issues with coverage. Some are too thick, some too thin, some grainy or crackle after they dry. After reading a positive review on a new US paint, Monument Pro Acrylic, I bought a bottle of their Bold Titanium White and 1 of Coal Black. These come in 22ml jars with a glass agitator.  The agitator is a nice touch but to be clear, the paint itself is very close to the consistency of my Vallejo airbrush paints. It is not thick at all so the agitator is just a nice touch. 

Step 1 is to get a bottle of Monument's Pro Acrylic Bold Titanium White. I haven't been this crazy about a hobby product in a long time. You'll also need a pot of Citadel's Apothecary White contrast. With these in hand, I start with a Zenithal primer over my figures. That's a gray primer all over followed by white primer sprayed directly from above and rocking out just a bit. You're trying to keep some gray intact in the folds & shadows. This does not have to be perfect.  



Step 2, apply the Apothecary White directly into all folds and shadows. I know some people apply it all over but if you can apply it just in the recesses, step 4 goes a little faster. 
Step 3, after Apothecary White dries in the folds, block in your nonwhite colors neatly.  I also do washes here so they don't slop too much onto my nice white coat.   
Step 4, paint white neatly around the Apothecary White in the folds. If you stray, you can always go back and clean up a spot or 2. I also put down a thin line of burnt umber between the tunic and pants, and the white sleeves and skin. The white paint goes down fast, thin, with great coverage and a smooth, matte finish. I've got a bunch of Teutons on the table and I'm quite happy I stumbled on this technique. Let me know what you think. Also, if you have a neat trick for painting white, I'd love to hear it! 



16 comments:

  1. Effective and fantastic technique, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monty,

    Thanks for your tips, as you said it gives a neat result, the figures are top!
    you done a great paintwork, your tips are welcome, painting white is always tricky (like the yellow I think).

    Cheers.

    Gilles


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Its a bit of a trick and I'm happy to now have a method for this madness.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for tips Monty! 🙂
    The contrast is striking on these Sudanese archers ... And congratulations also for the bright colors of their scarves! 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am happy with how bright the archers turned out. :-)

      Delete
  4. Nice work, always difficult to paint white effectively!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent result Monty! Will have a look where to source this magic white from this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is hard to source things internationally these days. I do hope you can find it!

      Delete
  6. Looks great Monty. Always tough to get white looking good, but you seem to have nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully painted with a great technique, Monty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Vallejo Ivory instead of a strictly white paint. Wouldn't Corax White be a good substitute for the grey?

    ReplyDelete