Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Seeing the boys off...ancient Spanish camp

Making a camp is always a challenge for me and I typically put it off until the very end of the project. You, the artist, must capture the essence of the army you painted in a small footprint. No pressure but the camp should be a lively diorama or vignette, limited only by the figures you can find in 15mm and your boundless imagination. What's that? You don't have a boundless imagination? Well then, quite simply, you're screwed.

The first step in making a camp is easy.  I can measure 120mm x 80mm with the best of them.  Then I  stare at my canvas in miniature and I'm stumped. Unless it's the Romans.  Nothing says camp for Romans like a Roman tent and a wall with pointy bits and some leftover legionaries. Unfortunately, such a display is only appropriate for Romans and you need to get more creative for all of the non-Roman armies of the ancient world.

I wanted to capture the "ruggedness" of Hispania so I toyed with the idea of an ambush in a mountain pass. It can be done but I couldn't get it quite right with the figures I have in this small footprint.  I did take the "mountain ambush" idea and turn it into something I'm pleased with. Hispania was made up of the Iberians, Lusitanians and Celtiberians tribal people.  I found some noncombatants in my lead pile and bingo, I had it.  My camp would be the women and children seeing warrior husbands and fathers off. A muster for battle like this would've been a somber affair.  If the invaders are not beaten and repelled, the tribe would face a range of poor outcomes ranging from slavery to outright annihilation.  I think the old woman with her hands on her hips captures the spirit of it.



Last up are the commanders. Finish line, here I come!


To wrap up my Iberian Project, The Clash "Spanish Bombs."  If you give it a listen, you'll want to hear London Calling all the way through and you'll feel the years fly by! Then again, I'm probably projecting.

18 comments:

  1. Intresting camp. I can imagine the woman reminding her husbands, 'be back for dinner!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And don't forget to get some eggs while you're out!"

      :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Monty,

    great work on the Army!
    all is amazing in it: the figures, the paint work, the command bases, the camp, even the music is well chosen ;-)
    First class!
    have great games with them !
    Cheers

    Gilles " No Pasaran !"

    ps:The Clash ! my prefered band ever!the first vinyl album I bought was "Combat Rock", a revelation!ok now, the punk crest is growing in my head instead over it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, you crack me up Gilles! Thank you for your very kind words. I can't wait to these fellows on the table!

      Delete

  3. Camp is fantastic, Monty! The terrain work is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fire! I follow a talented and creative bunch of hobbyists. I'm always thinking "why didn't I think of that?" Finally, a moment of inspiration!

      Delete
  4. first class painting...and music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marco! Now what comes next? Maybe some FoGN?

      Delete
  5. I'll be strong, and I won't paint another army like this one...
    You evil corrupter! Your camp is just too... Ok, I like everything you've shown today...

    Grr, now where my Visa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! You won't win a tournament with the Spanish like your beautiful Han Chinese army but they are fun to run. And I've learned some tricks for cluttering up the board with oversized terrain!

      Delete
  6. Great units Monty...but the camp, the camp...I'm in love with it! I find it really inspiring, and I hope there is no copyright on it! Congrats!
    All the best,
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! I hope I didn't just use up my last bit of inspiration!

      Delete
  7. They look just great and love the shields!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! Now that I look at it, one of them has a bit of a Union Jack feel to it.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic work, Monty. Love the nod to the Union Jack. The Clash indeed!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your idea and execution for your camp - certainly puts my tents to shame. Lovely work on the Spanish army too - it's been a pleasure visiting your site and seeing the progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Matthew! I'll be jumping over to visit yours shortly!

      Delete