Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Spanish for Saga

Or alternately, "out with the old, in with the new." I discovered Crusader Miniatures El Cid Spanish well after I'd painted my Spanish warband using Gripping Beast Normans. I fell in love with the Crusader figures the first time I saw them.  With so much history to paint, it seems silly to repeat a project but that's whats happening here.    

After putting in an order with Crusader, I set about locking in my new color scheme.  My GB Spanish were done in yellows & reds. I tried yellow and black on these Spanish footmen for a test run. Overall, I'm pleased but I'll take the yellow down a notch.  

I'm using a desert basing that matches my Moors so the two can be used against each other in Hail Caesar.  In Saga, I can swap individual figures back and forth for a nice Reconquista look to the warbands.   


With 33-41 horses to paint, I dug out a tutorial on the Metal Mountain blog for the oil wipe method.  I was thrilled with the combination of speed and shading I achieved so the oil wipe method is a lock as well.






I'm blessed to have a buyer in Chicago for almost all of my 15mm & 28mm painting. After a few emails, my Spanish/Norman/Breton/Strathclyde warband was on its way to the Windy City.  The buyer owns a gaming store so these fellows will see the table quite a bit.  It makes me happy to know that something I've painted is put to good use. If you're ever in Chicago and you see these lads out, send me a picture!






38 comments:

  1. Fantastic army Monty! I'm fell in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Artist ;o) painting miniatures work by you Monty! The Army look suburb and stunning!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, thanks! Hey, when my blog bombed out in the summer I lost my blogroll. Now I can find my way back!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful job Monty, they look superb, I hope to face them one day on a table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, I would so love to travel to France one day. One day!

      Delete
  4. Nice work and that multi-purpose army looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, painting horses is too much work to paint separate Breton/Norman/Spanish and all. Proxy for the win! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Das ist mal eine schöne Truppe, die gefällt mir sehr gut. top 1+

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crusader's El Cid range is a good one!

    While I really like your yellow/black color motif, for me, the real piece de resistance of this entry is you horse work. Magnificent results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I'm wondering why I didn't try this before.

      Delete
    2. And I'm wondering why I don't try it now!

      Delete
  7. Awesome. I especially like the shields on the Spanish. What gaming store in Chicago? I live about an hour and a half north of downtown Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, thanks! He's the fellow who revived the Thistle & Rose 15mm line. Now that I'm trying to find my way back, I can't find a store. Arg! Maybe I misunderstood and it was a local club.

      Delete
  8. Great technique on the horses - painting horses has never been my strong suit (notice all my work has been foot troops?).

    Glad to hear that your warbands are going to a good home - they deserve to be shown off to the public!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evan thanks! That's the reason there are so few horse armies. Also they're expensive. And time consuming to paint. For these 3 reasons, horse armies are hard to come by. ;-)

      Delete
  9. I like the yellow as it is mate! Glorious stuff once again... From a selfish POV happy to see you sell and paint more as it means we see more eye candy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michael! I have to turn it all over or I'd have an entire house full of lead. Mind you, that wouldn't be a terrible thing.

      Delete
    2. House of lead has some advantages...

      Delete
    3. I can only imagine the lead head count in your basement, Jonathan! A population larger than some cities.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sergiuss. I do love the Spanish, ancient or medieval!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Fran, thanks! If I ever make it to Ireland, can I swing by for a game and perhaps a beer? I bet you have a lot of visitors. ;-)

      Delete
  12. Stunning paintwork! You took the right decission indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! I'm glad I made the change too.

      Delete
  13. That yellow and black looks really good. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was a bit nervous about the combo but the test is a go!

      Delete
  14. Beautifully done troops, I particularly like the black and yellow motif.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work Monty, if I'm ever in Chicago I'll take a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Monty!! Fantastic minis! And the "family photo" is truly impressive!!...!Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea, one last group shot before departing.

      Delete
  17. Lovely painting Monty! It's always a pleasure to see you tackling a new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lots, now lets see what you're up to. :-)

      Delete