Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Terrain for Bolt Action, SAGA and Frostgrave

Inspired by the terrain at the US Grand Melee, I decided to clear out my terrain queue and buff out my meager collection.  Good terrain & nicely painted figures are key to walk-ups when you play in a public space like I do.

First up is the Warlord Games Plastic Ruined Hamlet.   The set was easy to assemble and paint with black primer and drybrushed shades of gray.  I mounted the ruins on MDF so I could do rubble-strewn floorboards.  Modeling pigments break up the sea of gray.  These will pull double-duty in Bolt Action and Frostgrave.








I've been a fan of the Fenris Games Viking Rune Stones since I laid eyes on them. The marshy theme was a bit of work but makes them flexible.  In SAGA, I can drop two of these in a terrain element and call it rocky ground OR a marsh. The leaf litter is Green Stuff World's Natural Leaf Litter.  I'm not entirely sure the split grey and brown basing works.  I can circle back and change it in the future if it bothers me enough.






This run was a nice boost to my terrain making confidence.  Now to get a game on and put it out on the table!

32 comments:

  1. Splendid, my favourites are these wonderful Viking Rune Stones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, they're my favorite too! I just ordered a nice drop of Celtic ruins from Fenris & I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I have the warlord hamlet to tackle myself at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I think you'll find it goes down easy!

      Delete
  3. Wow, those runestones are awesome! Nice brushwork too Monty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! They make me want to play SAGA, like I needed one more reason to do so.

      Delete
  4. Fine work Monty and it seems like your in your "gray phase" at the moment. I think Picasso woul appove.
    The sunken heads are from Scibor if I'm not completely mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is my grayscale, or as close as I'll ever get to it. Because I want to span the terrain across multiple systems, I did have to paint it all roughly in the same scheme. Scribor sounds right, thanks!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work, Monty! I think the statues might be scenic dwarf-themed bases from Scibor's Miniatures in Poland, the go-to guys for all things Dwarven. They also do some scatter terrain in the form of ruined colossal statues, well worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan! now I want to look for a colossal statute. Shipping may be an issue. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Very good job. «Splendide» !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work Monty!

    Especially liken those ruined cabins. Might have to source some for my upcoming ostfront Winter table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, and yes, the cabins would be ideal for Ostfront.

      Delete
  9. Nice standing stones and you've done a lovely job on the hamlet, I was thinking of doing ruins that could do double duty for bolt action and frostgrave, nice to see it can work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian! Any time my terrain can pull double or triple duty is a win.

      Delete
  10. Very nice terrain and marvellous artwork! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those burnt cabins are pretty cool! First time seeing something like that in all my gaming days. Might try my hand at some scratchbuilt versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rog! They are simple and sweet. Looking forward to seeing your scratchbuild versions and the next SAGA Thorsday!

      Delete
  12. Great stuff! Hadnt been to the Fenris site before, now I need to order the lot of Viking runestones to add to my Saga terrain. Love your whole site and have been looking around and getting inspired.

    ReplyDelete