Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Thistle & Rose Gallic Army

A new owner is bringing Thistle & Rose (T & R) 15mm miniatures back on line. I haven't painted 15mm ancients in ages so it was a great opportunity to get back in the saddle by painting a T & R Gallic army for Triumph.  

T& R are true 15s, comparable in size with Corvis Belli.  Not too tall or plump and very detailed. I don't know how they managed such fine detail on 15mm figures.  Some of the shield work was so intricate I used washes and glazes to highlight the handiwork. The "Dying Gaul" figure is a great touch too.  

The T & R FaceBook page is up here.  When they go live, they'll have a deep bench of periods and armies.  In fact, I should have another round of 15mm painting in the Spring with Saxons, Normans and Vikings.  





This project was a good reminder that one can never paint too many Gauls.  I do miss the days of playing ancients with our disbanded ancients group.  One day!

27 comments:

  1. Nice to see you painting 15s again, Monty. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know this brand, but these minis, under your brushes, look superb...Beautiful army and presentation (love the buildings in the background!)...Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look beautiful Monty. Any chance of some real close-up shots so we can see the detail you're talking about [ahem] "in detail" as it were?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks man. I shipped them already but I pulled a close up of the shields as painted by another painter from the T&R FB page. Shoot me your email and I'll get it to you. Me: m_luhmann @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They don’t look half bad and your painting on these fellows is absolutely gorgeous. Makes me want to give 15mm ancients another try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Caliban! Love your 28mm ancient painting!

      Delete
  7. Been waiting for T&R to go live for nearly two years now. I know its a part time business as the owners have proper jobs but they are such a good range its frustrating to have to wait so long. You castings turned out really well painted too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With what rules did you use these, Monty? FoG?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking army, Monty! I've never heard of T&R, but they do look like fine sculpts. Although I'll likely not be venturing into 15mm anytime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! Time and tide eventually drives every painter out of 15mm. :-)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marcus! No FoG in the last 2ish years here. The warband is for the owner of T&R and they play Triumph! I put a hyperlink to the rules up in the body.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your usual lovely 15mm ancients work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks man! It has been a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work! Bill showed me the figures you painted and they were beautiful. I saw him right before Christmas to bring him your Dacian army. We finally came to an agreement on the army and I was in the neighborhood anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! Very cool that you reached a deal AND get a game in!

      Delete
  15. Very good, Monty! Thanks for the heads up. Must check them out.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pru! It was good to get back into 15mm again.

      Delete