Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

TYW Cannons & a new Hungarian project

I've been working through my lead pile while I'm between projects.  In my stack, I had 6 TYW cannons and gunners by Old Glory.  I bought these to port my Later Hungarian army into Field of Glory-Renaissance. As it turned out, FoG R in 15mm never got off the ground locally.  And more significantly,  I recently sold my Hungarians.  I painted these up for practice (and eBay) and I have to say, they're good molds.  For a changeup, I left the black primer in places for shadowing, separation and facial details.  It looks quite good in 15mm and I'll use this old school technique again.





I was happy to sell my Hungarians but felt a bit blue as I packed them up.  That was a bit odd since I'm not the sentimental type.  I found solace in the fact that the buyer is a skilled FoG tournament player in the US and International circuit.  As an added bonus, I got a commission to bulk up the army so one more time, for old times, I'll paint up Essex figures for Matthias' Black Army. The Hungarian word for forward is elore, so elore with the Hungarian project.  And one day, I do hope to hear how they've ripped it up on the FoG circuit.

One last thing...Mark and I started a Maurice campaign and we got our first game in at The Source.  The game was a blast, with loads of people stopping by to watch or comment.  It went right down to the wire but I don't want to say any more since Mark has the AAR up at his blog.  Its a great retelling of a great day of fun.  Check it out!

22 comments:

  1. Szia Monty,

    Hogy vagy?

    I really like your "old school" painting it's very effective with your basing technique, now you will have to buy and paint another hungarian army;-)
    a new project to share with your club mates for the end of this year ;-)

    Legyen szep napod!

    Udvözlettel.

    thefrenchjester " Hungarian politeness formulas;-)"



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sir! Is there any language you can't speak? ;-)

      Essex figures are hard to come by in the US but really, anything is possible. I do love the story of the Black Army so maybe they'll make a reappearance.

      Delete
    2. I don't speak woman laguage as all the guys and mathematics languages and in fact many more, sorry too long to Lizst here ;-)

      have a new try on the Black Army with the inks;-)
      Best regards

      thefrenchjester " master of illusion;-)"

      Delete
  2. Dear lord - Monty plays black powder?!? That blue, by the way, is pretty hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do play Maurice! It must mean its the end of times!

      Delete
  3. These look really great, and as a proud Hungarian and an enthusiast of Mátyás's army I look forward seeing those figs, have fun with painting them!
    I'm planning to write a short story for a competition about the period featuring an ex-Hussite who finds himself in the Black Army at the siege of Szabács in 1476, some inspiration in the form of figures will come handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew! If you don't mind sharing, I'd LOVE to read your short story when it's finished. That period is great fodder for the imagination. Such a great King and fascinating time!

      I haven't painted Essex or Medieval figures in a year and I'm really enjoying the changeup. I'll post some work next week. And good luck with your story. I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
    2. +1 with Monty. Oh, and btw Monty, I just love your guns. they really look cool

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing this "Maurice" being mentioned...some reviews have me wanting to make the purchase only to have the next leave doubt. Maybe this campaign narrative will help me decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card driven aspect of Maurice makes this game shine. There is an element of unpredictability and back and forth. I also like that you can't move every unit on the table.

      Historical? Not so much as some other rules I'm told. Fun? Hell yes! It got me out of ancients and into musketry.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! I kind of wish FoG R took off here like your club. And while I'm at it, I wish we could toss back a few while we game like your club as well. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Great look troops, shame you've got to sell them! I like the guys in yellow, they really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! The ECW/TWY is new era for me but it might be one I come back to.

      Delete
  7. Great stands! The colours are really impressive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! I do love colors that pop and its become hard to paint in anything but that. ;-)

      Delete
  8. strangely, i miss this post
    i like your painting
    i think you always like you can't do
    i don't sell any more my armies
    sometime i painted for friends
    i have so much regrets
    i still remember my axumite army, qu'in, HYW english, abassid, ottoman, parthian, Indian, khmers, tang, HYW english (2nd one), a burmese army, bactrian army, ottoman army (2nd one), hungarian army, ect...
    money is nothing
    time is all
    have you done a tutorial of your basing ?
    i take a look of your link thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marco! It's very good advice and you have an impressively long list of sold armies. I worry about becoming like one of those cat people. You know, the person who starts with one cat and somehow ends up with 50. So when my painted lead collection gets too large, I start looking at it to prune it down. At least with miniatures, there is no poop to clean up!

    Good suggestion, I will work up a short tutorial on basing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice cannon and crew. The colors and basing are striking. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Dean! The upside to painting in the gunpowder era is the absence of shields. I could get used to that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely stuff. I like both the blue of the guns and bronze on the barrels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sir! If Maurice catches on in our club, these won't be the last cannons I paint.

      Delete