Lots of options off the sprue with both horse and men gluing up nicely. I employed a painting "cheat" to speed things up. I sorted the horse into 4 lots and then hit them with either Army Painter Black, Leather Brown, Bone or Fur Brown primer. I then worked up the socks, manes and tails before washing. The cheat worked well with Leather Brown but not so much with Bone. 2 tone highlights were in order for some of the models, while others looked fine with just a colored primer and wash.
|Don't look at me, I'm hideous!|
|A close look shows who was primed with what color.|
I managed to squander the time saved with colored primers in my next step! I've seen some of you make painting stands for mounted troops so I tried to copy that. I drilled out water bottle caps, clipped out piano wire, drilled holes in the the rider's bottoms (hey now!) and blu tacked them down. This was a poor idea as the figures kept swiveling about on the piano wire until I blu tacked the feet as well. HINT! Just glue the damn figures on their mounts and paint away. It's not like we're painting for the Louvre.