Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Mutatawwi'a for Saga

Mutts are my Groundhog Day project. I keep painting, selling and repainting them. And usually getting a few reps in playing them as well. Looking back, this is my 4th version. This one started with me reacquiring 16 unpainted mounted Saracens I'd traded away to my buddy Brent years ago. They sat in a box until fate saw them boomerang back to me in another trade. I decided to go for a bright, colorful version. Basically, the opposite of the last version I painted a couple of years ago. Almost all Footsore figures with a few Gripping Beast Western Knights used, Gripping Beast Objective Markers and a warlord on a camel by Warlord Games.  

I decided to hand paint the shields and banner using only black, tan and white to pull the warband together. The shields started out looking quite dull and uninspiring so I slapped down highlights, washes and dirt to raise them up a bit. Overall, I'd count it as a success! 

In Saga, Mutts are a wild and wooly bunch. Really a fun lot to play.  I think they'll make a good opponent for the Teutons I've started painting. 














And to close, here are my prior 3 versions of Mutts! 






17 comments:

  1. Hey, Monty! Long time no see...so to speak. Your brushwork is impressive as ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dean! So sorry, my blog has been hammered by spammers and I had comments on Moderator for a time. Missed this!

      Delete
  2. Very colorful army, Monty! Your yellow really pops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I do miss our back and forth.S o sorry, my blog has been hammered by spammers and I had comments on Moderator for a time. Missed this!

      Delete
  3. Hi Monty,

    Happy new year!

    a nice paintwork on this 4th iteration of Mutts (in fact I like the 4, each for different reasons ;-)).
    you said some time ago that the third itertaion is a jewel (you proved it my friend!) is there a name for the 4th?
    magnifique? superbe?
    congratulations Monty!

    All the best.

    Gilles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilles! It has been such a long time. I hope all is well! Google tells me that the 4th anniversary theme is flowers Maybe these are my floral Mutts? They are colorful like bright flowers. Take care my friend! :-)

      Delete
  4. These look excellent, well done. Hopefully you'll decide they are the ones for you and not move them on again - I've done a similar thing with ECW Parliamentarian forces and now refuse to buy and paint another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me as well, Paul! I'm just not going to paint them a 5th time :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely, clean looking army, nice shields!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those turned out really well. Love the shields and flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus, and I'll keep an eye out for your new project as well!

      Delete
  7. Those shields in the first pictures really pull the army together. And I love the painting. Really great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Khusru, thanks! I appreciate it. I love LBMS shield transfers but it was time paint shields by hand (for a change).

      Delete