Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Triarii

I put my Mid Republican Roman project on the back burner when I got my Pontic figures.  It's been  gnawing at  me that I have a MRR army without Triarii so when I put in another order of Xyston figs from Brookhurst Hobbies, I added these and got them painted in short order.

I've belatedly concluded that while I can run my MRR army without Triarii, their A discipline makes them essential by allowing them good odds for  double and triple moves. Like their historical counterparts, I plan to hold these boys in reserve until a crucial moment in the battle. With a little bit of luck, they'll move out in double or triple time to smash their opponent in the mouth or better yet, the flank.  At least that's the way I imagine it in my head. Reality is often different on the tabletop.





6 comments:

  1. Yep. That's what they usually do to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound like the Roman equivalent of French Old Guard Grenadiers or British Guard infantry; Send them in when a REAL man's job is needed!

    They look the business. Great job, Monty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fire, I was reading your AARs which gave me the idea that maybe just maybe I needed these guys! In a test run before I ordered and painted the Triarii up, the Gauls spanked the Romans.

    And Rosbif, I've loved Napoleonics going waaay back. When I was writing this post, I originally described them as grognards but then thought I was getting too cute by using a term from another era. Seems great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good looking minis Mounty !!!

    Best regards dalauppror

    ReplyDelete